Stray voltage in New York City.
Dogs have been injured, even killed, by stray voltage in New York City.
While this is an old story I have been reported as early as last year that stray voltage is still an issue in New York City.
We would advise dog owners to always avoid electric poles, and metal grates near electric poles. We’d always recommend avoiding these, and ESPECIALLY during wet days outside.
In the past six months there have been reported cases of electrcicgrates being electrified by underground wires, in New York City.On certain occasions these have shocked dogs and in one case, anEast Village woman was fatally electrocuted while trying to saveher dogs from an electrocuted street plate. “Con-Ed says strayvoltage becomes a problem in the winter, when melting snowand salt can further corrode frayed or nicked underground cables.”